This fourth through fifth grade curriculum teaches how to prevent victimization through assertiveness skill building. Through interactive presentations and role-play, children learn how to stay safe from bullying, emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and neglect. Follow-up activities, Home Connections, and a parent support allow for ongoing practice and repetition to increase retention of the skills. There are five 30-minute lessons.
This curriculum is only appropriate for fourth and fifth graders who have already received the Lower Elementary curriculum. If your upper elementary students have not, please teach that course first.
* Please note that you must have been trained in Lower Elementary to register for the Upper Elementary training.
- Safe Relationships
- Emotional Control to Stay Safe
- Handling Conflict
- Stopping Abuse
- Staying Safe Online
Participants will be able to:
- Explain the need for safety education
- Recognize types of abuse and when to make disclosures
- Demonstrate assertiveness and use kind words
- Identify core concepts of the curriculum
- Implement each lesson
- Express confidence in the ability to teach the program